Monday, December 27, 2010

The Christmas Miracle.

As 2010 draws to a close I was contemplating the fate of horror movies this year and I struggled. I had to think long and hard to remember what I had actually seen. I'll see any horror movie going but I was stumped trying to think of my favourite. I guess The Last Exorcism was ok. Scratch that, it was good until the last 5 minutes. I watched about 20 minutes of The Descent 2 the other day. The Crazies was good, but that was because the second peeps started coming back to life Timothy Olyphant stock piled guns but it lags in subsequent views. The Nightmare on Elm Street remake made me want to punch myself in the face. Then punch the movie screen. Then punch a few people in the audience. Splice was... like an un-fun Orphan. Predators was pretty badass and a lot of that is because of Lawrence Fishburn. That 15 minute sequence with him is worth all of it.  I managed to have no fun at Piranha  3D and I couldn't get over how pretty Milla Jovovich looked in Resident Evil: Afterlife. Paranormal Activity 2 was interesting but didn't scare me and My Soul To Take ... well, Wes Craven got some strongly worded letters from me.

It was just a whole lot of meh. Until my friend told me about a little Norwegian movie called Rare Exports A Christmas Tale.




I don't want to say too much about this movie because I went in to it nearly blind knowing only that Santa is actually an ancient demon and has just been un-earthed in the mountains. It's the perfect blend of Shaun of the Dead and Let The Right One In. It revived my faith in the beauty of horror films which is reconciling the dark parts of ourselves with our humanity.

It is currently playing in Toronto at the Royal Cinema so check your revue cinema schedules and start believing in Santa and horror again.

No comments:

Post a Comment