Thursday, February 17, 2011

Horror Movie Coolie: Milla Jovovich in Resident Evil (2002)

I have an unabashed and deep love for Resident Evil and an even deeper love for Milla Jovovich. My M.J. love stems from The Fifth Element because that movie also fucking rocks. But in Resident she looks hot and believable holding gun. The other great thing about Milla Jovovich is, as Alice, she looks and acts like a woman. Not a girl. Not a plaything. But a woman. Who happens to be wearing a sexy red dress. But she's wearing flats so I feel like that balances it out.

No bra, no problem.
Writer/director Paul W.S Anderson makes one of the best action-horror hybrids ever, which isn't that surprising when you consider he also brought us Event Horizon. Now, I know a lot of people go on and on that it has almost nothing to do with the video game except for the premise. To be honest, I can't really get behind people getting upset about changing fictional things that never happened.

Anderson's film takes the common root of an Alice in Wonderland structure with the main character being called Alice and the computer program being called The Red Queen and all the zombies and what not. I love this darn movie so much I even love it's horrible sequels. You won't be able to convince me otherwise. They may never be able to duplicate the simplicity and effectiveness of the first one, but I sure do enjoy watching them try.

Good and literal brainless fun. Also, awesome side-boob.

2 comments:

  1. I heartily concur. I have the feeling that they couldn't make the sequels dumb enough to make me dislike them. Irrational, yes. But that's what love is all about. Also, I thought Extinction was a genuinely good movie. But then, I've got bad taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a love/hate relationship to this movie. Yes, it was brilliantly shot, good practical effects, great performances, and tells a fair story but at the same time it doesn't live up to the source.

    ReplyDelete