Thursday, March 31, 2011

An Open Letter




 Dear [Rec] 2,

I just want to say that I really, really love you. And no, I don't care what anyone else thinks. My love for you is pure and I just wanted you to know it.

My faith was dwindling in the horror genre and you've reignited my passion. It's the little things you do. It's the way each character matters and the way you effectively use POV shooting and the way you answer questions through plot. Hell, every camera used was shot in a style that made sense to the character using it. It's like you thought about it for more than two minutes when you were shooting the film.

Too many other films redo the formula that kind of worked in the original film. You, like Paranormal Activity 2, use the same (ish) time line to open up the themes explored in the first. So simple yet rarely done. I love the way you used the same location (opening it up only a little bit) to continue the story. The claustrophobia in [Rec] is nothing compared to what you guys do.

I used to never be scared of zombies. I used to never want to watch zombie movies because I found them monotonous but you subverted a genre and made them not zombies but still zombie-esque. You made them awesome because you never showed their faces for too long and made their movements epically creepy. For that I will always love you.

After I watched you I was nervous, my heart was pounding and I slept with the light on. You. Complete. Me.

Love,

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment