Saturday, October 29, 2011

Top 5 Treehouse of Horror Episodes

As a child, The Simpsons' annual Treehouse of Horror episode was as important to me as going Trick or Treating. In fact, I believe there were a couple times that I cut Trick or Treating short so I could catch the marathon.

The Treehouse of Horror series was a big introduction to the world of horror movies. In fact, this is where I saw a lot of horror movies before I ever saw the real thing. Going back and looking at the episodes as an adult makes me appreciate them more. The Simpsons, in their prime, are arguably the best contemporary satirical team. Their dedication to the horror genre only makes me love them more...

Here are my 5 favourite Treehouse of Horror segments

#5 Citizen Kang
 I learned most of my politics from this episode alone. When Kang and Kodos kidnap Bob Dole and Bill Clinton and impersonate them to gain control of the country it's an all out political battle. It's also one of the most quotable Treehouse episodes with:
"Always twirling toward freedom!"
"Abortions for some, miniature American flags for everyone!"
"What about a third party candidate?" "Go ahead, throw your vote away!"

#4 Dial Z For Zombie

"Dad, you killed the Zombie Flanders!"
"He was a zombie?"
This is the ultimate zombie parody way before Shaun of the Dead made it cool. Every zombie parody you see today (and there are a lot) owes some kind of debt to this episode.

#3 Hungry Are The Damned
Never has there been a better use of space dust.
"How to Cook Humans" > "How to Cook For Humans" > "How to Cook Forty Humans" > "How to Cook For Forty Humans."

#2 Nightmare on Evergreen Terrace

"Lousy Smarch weather!"
A great satire of one of my favourite movies. There is nothing better when they parody the last minute scare with Willy getting off the bus.

#1 The Shinning
"Shh! Do you want to get sued?"
 This episode exemplifies why The Treehouse of Horror series works so well. Yes, they're making fun of horror movies but the reason it works so well is because the writers know the genre so well. With great satire comes great responsibility.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYBODY!!!

1 comment: