Saturday, December 31, 2011

Best of 2011

This is my first official Best-Of list and I was all pumped for it... but then I tried listing off the horror films I saw in theatres this year and they barely took up one hand of fingers. So instead of a typical run of the mill Best Of, I'm going to do some highlights of my year in horror for y'all


1. Movies that Made it into Theatres.

Um... like I said before there wasn't a hell of a lot to choose from so let's do the Corresponding Song Titles version



Scream 4: Mo' Money, Mo' Problems
Insidious: You Can't Always Get What You Want
The Rite: Highway to Hell
Paranormal Activity 3: Thriller
The Kill List: I Shot A Man In Reno
Melancholia: It's the End of the World as We Know It

I should also mention, I really want to see Take Shelter, The Innkeepers and The Woman as soon as possible. I really do hope they make the rep theatre circuit before too long. One of my favourite lists of this end-of-the-year orgy is Lianne Spiderbaby's which can be found ici.

2. Movies I finally got around to watching on DVD.



Never Sleep Again (2010) I think this is the best horror documentary ever made. See it. Love it. And revel in the honesty and joy of the Nightmare On Elm Street series.
The Children (2010) I had been wanting to see this movie for the longest time and it finally happened when it came onto Netflix Canada.  While it's not perfect, it's definitely a visceral, fun experience.
Some of the Saw Series (2004-2010) A pleasant surprise. I haven't seen all of them yet but for what they are these films are incredibly effective. If you're the tiniest bit curious and you haven't seen them, I'd say it's definitely worth your time.
Ravenous (1999) Weird but I can't believe I hadn't seen it. So glad I finally got to.
The Elephant Man (1980) So weird. So good. So sad.

3. Career Highlights



2011 was a big year for me horror-wise. I started writing for Planet Fury (nee Pretty Scary, nee nee FanGirlTastic) and electronically got to know the wonderful and inspiring Heidi Martinuzzi. I've gotten to interview Nancy herself, Heather Langenkamp, review a bunch of movies and go to FanExpo where I was able to meet and befriend the lovely Lianne Spiderbaby. These women are so flipping cool I can't really put it into words but they have inspired me to keep writing and keep doing this if only because I love it and I believe in what the genre can be.

I was also fortunate to have an article published in the Living section of the Toronto Star about Horror and Fashion. I still have multiple copies of it, if anyone wants one.



And finally a big, huge, gigantic thank you to everyone who reads this blog. I love doing this and have loved getting to know more of the horror community through it.

All the best and have a very happy 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment