Thursday, December 8, 2011

Scare Tactic's First Year

That's right! Today is Scare Tactic's first birthday. I have to admit that this all started as a lark but I'm now deeply proud of this little blog. It's even on my resume.

Without too much dithering, I've been thinking about what posts I've missed. And I've missed the mother of all horror-blog-posts! Without further ado...

My Top 5 Favourite Horror Movies

5. Martyrs (2008)

Pascal Lauguier's existential nightmare is one of the most divisive movies I've ever come across. It's been the subject of debates at parties. (Okay, one party) Two girls are seeking revenge on the people who captured and tortured them as children. That journey of vengeance takes them on a twisted and surreal adventure, creating one of the most high-concept horror films around. I totally understand that it's not for everyone. But it's lovely to hear vital and impassioned debate about a new film in the horror community.

4. Black Christmas (1974)

This movie is so flipping awesome I can't stand it. It's my favourite slasher film. Granted it makes little to no sense; but it's weird, funny and hella creepy. It also has an incredibly strong female cast that includes Olivia Hussey and Margot Kidder. It's a one of a kind that is forever being ripped-off. Where do you think Halloween got all those ideas?

3. Carrie (1976)

Brian DePalma's ode to womanhood. The pop cultural birth of the monstrous feminine. Throw whatever labels you want at Carrie, this is one badass horror movie. It's horror divrives from not only supernatural violence but personal violence. What viewer didn't perk up when the mean girls where sentenced to extra gym classes? DePalma helped the viewer feel like an outcast who just wanted to be left alone. It helps that it includes some of the best performances in film, let alone the genre. (Piper Laurie? Fuck yeah!) The final scare still gets me and is one of the most effective scares in any movie.

2. Rosemary's Baby (1968)

There isn't much to say that hasn't already been said about Roman Polanski's iconic Rosemary's Baby. Great performances, effective direction and some truly disturbing and troubling scenes. The film presents the audience with Rosemary's very real choice at the end. Who knows what happens after the final scene, but those closing moments caused me anxiety than any trap in Saw.

1. The Shining (1980)

If you've only ever glanced at Scare Tactic you'll know that I fucking love The Shining. It's brilliant. It's one of the best movies ever made. It's moody, evocative and impeccably shot. Like the other films on this list, The Shining deals in interpersonal horror, the horror we can inflict on each when we're in close quarters for even a brief period of time.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Blog-Birthday Alexandra! My own blog-baby will turn one in January. Don't know how I'm going to celebrate that one.

    Great Top Five also. Now I'm going to have to get off my ass and track down a copy of Black Christmas. I'm kind of glad I saw the remake first though, because everyone who loves the original seems to hate it. I thought it was deeply stupid and all the more fun because of it.

    You're going to have to expand your discussion of Martyrs someday, I'd love to hear your take on it.

    Again, Congrats. Now it's time to start planning for that 2-year anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I did write a little something about Martyrs when Scare Tactic first started but I need to watch it again to write something properly I feel.

    The original Black Christmas is amazing so do watch it. I got about half way through the remake before I couldn't take it...

    ReplyDelete