Friday, January 20, 2012

Trailer Review: Resident Evil 5: Retribution


I've talked about Resident Evil before and I have a real soft spot for these movies, mainly because of Milla Jovovich. I think she's the shit and no one will be able to convince me otherwise. I cut these movies a lot of slack because of her but RE: Afterlife was a huge messy disappointment. If you haven't seen it, it's essentially a big teaser trailer for this film. What was most disconcerting about that one, was it was directed by Paul W.S. Anderson who directed the first one (he wrote all of them) and couldn't get that darn movie focused enough to tell a coherent story. Yes, Milla looked great, but Afterlife felt like a big middle finger to the audience.

But here we are. It's 2012 and RE 5 is coming out in nine months. The RE series has done a nice job of playing with the Umbrella Corporation as an actual entity. A few years ago, a dear friend got me Umbrella Corporation mints in a an awesome Umbrella tin. The mints were pretty good and I still have the tin. I think they've done a good job of incoporating Umbrella as an online entity without getting bogged down in explaining and rewriting mythologies (cough, Underworld, cough).

ANYHOOZLE, Let's see... we've got a whole bunch of characters coming back. Sienna Guillory, Michelle Rodriguez. Oded Fehr.... All your favourites, AMIRITE? Well, I don't know what's going on but it's big, shiny and has a lot of pretty people kicking ass in slow motion. I think if you took out all slow-motion of of these films they would all be 45 minutes combined. But I digress. This trailer does what it should. Intrigues, pumps up and leaves you confused as to what you just saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment