Thursday, March 15, 2012

Horror Mysteries: Jason Voorhees - Man Boy or Boy Man?

A quick pre-ramble before I get into the meat and potatoes of this post:

I was alllllllllllllllllllllllll excited to see Silent House this weekend. I had some time off and boy, oh, boy was I excited to see it. But then I came across this quote: 

“I've seen some real crap movies, but this was worse than Tree of Life and The Talisman combined. I’m not sure who is writing this crap, but whoever it is I’m sure a ten year old could do better. In fact, I think this movie gave me cancer.”  (Source)

So... yeah... I did some more reading and to be honest I couldn't fathom paying $10-$12 to see that movie. So what would I write about? Surely you must banging your computer screens like the filthy apes that you are, refreshing Scare Tactic's home page every 30 seconds and staring at it in hopes of a new post.... 

So here I am with a new little series exploring the unsolvable mysteries of our most beloved movies. First up, WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO JASON VOORHEES BETWEEN PART 1 AND PART 2?!?!?!?!??!?hgulirkanlf v;mmjdsopao;vo;vo;vo;vo;vn n io8yt 49326guithuwefoijDSOAGJKCV

Um, anyway.... To quickly recap, this is how we see Jason at the end of Part 1: 
 And here he is in Part 2... 2 months later: 


Final Girl from Part 1, Alice, refers to him as a boy at the end of Part 1 and is then killed by him two months later at the beginning of Part 2 and he is somehow now a full grown man. 2 months later. WTF, indeed. 

Now, some people might say that screenwriters and producers are lazy and are just writing films to appease the masses. Poppycock! Everything happens for a reason. EVERYTHING! Like an abstract painting, Jason's sudden growth into a full fledged man is open to years of interpretation and debate. Here are some of my favourites:

1. Jason is psychic. Yup, Mongoloid, slow-witted, killing machine has psychic abilities. He escaped drowning and has been living in the woods. When he witnesses his mother's death at the hands of Alice, the boy jumping out of the water is an emotional manifestation brought about from the trauma of his mother's death. 

2. Alice's guilt. Somewhere along the line, possibly while Mrs Voorhees was giving her James Bond villain explanation, Alice sympathized with her. She realized her friends were behaving in a similar fashion to the ones that had let Jason down. Her guilty conscience at having killed someone became a nightmare of being pulled down into the lake. As stated in the Pit of Horror's FAQs "Dead men can't grow".

3. Camp Crystal Lake is Haunted. Just like that darned island in Lost, there's something not quite right with the grounds of Camp Crystal Lake. Does the lake hold special powers that released an infantalized Jason after his mother's death and his rapid growth was the evil lake preparing him to keep on killing? 

What do YOU think? I like to believe that Jason was always down there (as Part 7 indicates) and it's him that pulls Alice down at the end of Part 1. I think it's creepier, more effective and more fun.


2 comments:

  1. Hm, interesting. I do like the idea that he was always down there but I'm guessing his ability to age quickly is similar to what one witnesses in the "Jaws" franchise with the two Brody sons... Throughout the sequels their age differences alter considerably between being older and younger. I think Jason somehow posseses that ability but as of yet he is still struggling with the "getting younger again" part of it. Just my take on it... ahem...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly wasn't a big fan of the sequels. Logically, Jason's corpse wouldn't come back but it was a nice scare at the end. Also, even if he could come back from the dead then why is he grown up when he died as a child? O.o yeah I know, the rapid growth theory but come on... The adult Jason was simply a copy of Micheal Myers because after all the director admits the first film is a rip off of Halloween.

    ReplyDelete