Friday, November 9, 2012

5 Most Terrifying Film Characters

Well, the leaves have settled in the wake of Halloween, Christmas (oh, I mean the Holidays) has thrown up inside the interior of every Starbucks known to man so I thought it would be a good time to revisit some of my most terrifying film characters ever. This isn't unsettling film characters, or ones that creep you out... this is a list of characters who make you afraid to open your eyes in the middle of the night, or make you wonder about what's behind that door. Pure, unadulterated terror. The kind of fear that makes you feel like a little kid again. For better or worse, it's characters like these who keep me coming back to horror movies. They transgress the norm of what films do, these stay with you.

I felt so overwhelmed by horror choice in the month of October that I'm using the next couple months to cleanse and refine my horror palate. (along with watching Black Christmas 20 times) Here are some characters that leaped forth from the recesses of my mind and have terrified me with... um... terror...  time and again.


5. Angel of Death - Hellboy 2 (2008)


While Hellboy 2 is no horror film, Doug Jones' performance as the Angel of Death genuinely terrified me. It was a mix of the distorted voice, the fluid movements and the underlying malice of its power.

4.Skesis


Holy shitpoops you guys. I barely remember what the Skesis are or what they want but they chill me to the bone. When I was little I used to be so scared a group of them would attack me when I slept and rip off my skin. Actually, scratch that last bit. I'm still scared they'll do that.

3.Woman in Black - The Woman in Black (2012) /Tooth Fairy - Darkness Falls (2003)


These two are pretty much on par for me. Scary woman, obstructed face, ghostly powers that kill... What I find so creepy about both these characters is their inherent evil and anger and that death only made it stronger. Evey time I get up to get a glass of water in the middle of the night I swear I see one of them in the shadows.

2. Jack - American Werewolf in London (1981)


Yes, yes... horror comedy... I get it. I blame seeing this when I was around 9 or 10. Then I also blame Rick Baker's effects.But mainly my prolonged fear of it stems from when David adjusts the mirror in the bathroom to reveal a mutilated ghost-Jack behind. I think of that scene nearly every time I bend my head down to wash my face and bring it back up to look in the mirror.

1. Zelda - Pet Sematary (1989)


I'm just going to leave this right here... "I'm going to twist your back just like mine, so you'll never get out of bed again! Never get out of bed again! NEVER GET OUT BED AGAIN! NEVER GET OUT OF BED AGAIN!" ... Yup...

Sweet dreams everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Goddamn it! You had to remind me of Zelda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, it was the most terrifying Google image search I've ever had to do.

      Delete